If your product is sold through a sales rep, rather than a company sales force, your sales effort still demands your careful management. Your rep may tell you that your product is getting 25 percent of his/her time. But what you don’t know is that he’s told the same thing to 7 other companies. A hot-shot rep may promise 200 percent of his time to the companies he represents. What happens is that his best-selling products get most of his time, because that’s where his commissions are. Your product may be a tougher sell, so it seldom gets the attention it needs. Stay on top of your rep all the time. You have a right to be demanding. If he’s not doing the job for you, fire him promptly and get somebody better.
Choose a category
- Analyze your customer base
- Superior to your competitors? Then charge more
- Never stop marketing
- Encourage complaints
- Success: destination or journey?
- How much should you pay yourself?
- Trade show protocol: Don’t sit down
- Dangerous myth: Cut price and increase sales volume
- Keep an eye on your cash flow
- Buy your computer system from a single supplier
GOING INTO BUSINESS FOR YOURSELF?
Set to make your move? My Kindle book HOW TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND BE YOUR OWN BOSS,> puts you on the fast track. It's a concise guide to smart decisions and long-term business success. Find it on Amazon.